Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Seattle Part I

Greetings from Seattle!

We all know how much I love Seattle. I visit it enough I almost consider it my second home. Just today I told Rebecca how I think I have more friends in Seattle then in NH. I was luckily enough to visit Seattle TWICE this year! One of them being over Christmas.

I started my journey Wednesday night of the 22nd. After work I jumped on Dartmouth Coach and headed to Boston for the night since my flight was at 6 am. My coworker's car recently broke down so I said he could borrow it while I was gone. He dropped me off at the bus station and I watched him drive away in my car with my dog. Goomba looked at me with those puppy dog eyes saying "why are you leaving me and where am I going?". I immediately missed him. I woke up the next morning, my taxi came right on time and I made it to the airport too early (surprise surprise). I thought I would make it through without getting electronically raped but they turned it on just as it was my turn. THEN, they said my left leg looked suspicious and I had to get a pat down. Do I really look that dangerous?? There were FIVE dogs on both my flights out here. The dogs made me miss Goomba, but also made me feel a little less guilty because all five spots were taking and there was no room for me to bring him along even if I tried to.
Anyways. Nothing else interesting happened in the journey. Oh except for the woman next to me spilled her water on me and it felt like I peed my pants the rest of the flight. I landed in Seattle. YAAAAY!!!! Rebecca and I got a drink and waited for our Dad and Debbie's (our step-mom) flight to come in. Then we went home and relaxed before going to the boat parade. I don't have any pictures, but it was pretty cool! We went down to the water and there were about 50 boats hanging out with lights on them. One big boat in the middle had the girls choir on it so they sung songs for 20 minutes then the boats all went home.
Next day was Christmas Eve. We went into downtown Seattle for the day. Dad thought it was funny how much Debbie bundled up and I left my jacket at home.


We got some seafood for lunch, cioppino for later, and halibut for dinner. We walked around some, got some veggies, then headed on the bus home. But not before looking at the Gingerbread Houses contest! There were only 6, but they were huge! And they had so much detail, they were pretty cool.




Games were played until it was time for bed. I won Dixit twice and then everyone decided to keep playing but stop keeping score. We finally went to bed and then......


MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Christmas was great! It's a big deal in my family, and we all always go overboard. Everyone loved their presents though. It was a different Christmas then I am used to, but my sister did a great job of playing hostess the whole time for us.  The day was spend playing with all our new games for the rest of the day. I don't know what was in the air, but I happened to win everything! Great for me, boring for everyone else. My luck ran out the next day though, everyone got their turn. Games played were: dicecapades, word on the street, quelf, play nine, telestrations, some island game, qwirkle, and I think that was it. Qwirkle is totally my type of game. I loved it. Rebecca said it was unfair because my mind works in that way and I can play through all the possibilities faster than everyone else and that's why I was so good at it. Dicecapades was another one of my favorites. Although the very first turn I had to do 16 push ups in 30 seconds. Even though push ups are my absolute least favorite work out exercise, I did it, and on hard wood floor!

 Merry Christmas from the Kings!

John (Rebecca's boyfriend) came over the next day and we had another day of games after going out to lunch. I've already met John but this was Dad and Debbie's first time. It we well. We all gave him Christmas presents and he handed some out himself. He drove in from Portland in the morning and then drove home at night. Lots of driving for one day but we appreciate it John! Thanks for coming out!


Monday: Snowshoeing!! We woke up early, packed a lunch, and drove east to Steven's Pass. By the time we got there and put on our rental gear, we started hiking around 12. We did a big loop of about 4 km. On the first half we walked by the creek. It was awesome! I guess no one else had walked there yet because there were no footsteps to follow so I got to be the trail blazer. Every 5 minutes my dad would ask "how do you know where the path is?" I don't know. There were some markers in the trees I was following and sometimes I just went for it. What's the worst that could happen? It felt like we were just walking in a forest covered in snow. It was our own winter wonderland and it was even snowing for part of the walk. Every few steps we would stop and saying "it's so beautiful!!" then keep going and say the same thing a few minutes later. I tried to sled down a hill by sitting on my snowshoes, but we had the wrong kind so it didn't work. Actually I just about did somersaults down the hill. We all had a great time though and can't wait to do it again one day.








This morning we woke up and made breakfast before driving Dad and Debbie to the airport. We all said our goodbyes and sent them off their way. Rebecca and I came home to eat lunch and just watch tv and talk all afternoon. Perfect relaxing time before gearing up for a day of snowboarding tomorrow!

High: It's against the rules to name more than one, but it's Christmas! There are too many! Either playing the games or trail blazing while snowshoeing. 

Low: The woman sitting next to me on the plane spilling her water in my lap.

On Deck: The rest of the week! Seattle Part II. Wednesday: Snowboarding, Thursday: Hanging around with Seattle people, Friday: More snowboarding and New Years, Saturday: Something fun and then flying home. Sunday: traveling all day then reuniting with my two boys!


No comments:

Post a Comment