Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Mr. and Mrs. Hutchins


I woke up and immediately texted Megan saying it was her wedding day!! All the girls met at the hotel at 10 to get our hair done. Naturally I was the first one there even though I was the only one not staying at that hotel. I got my usual “wedding hairdo” of half up and curled. I felt awkward accepting compliments for it all night because I didn’t do it, so thanks? Megan got a very lovely spread for us to eat while we were all hanging out in the room. And naturally we put the WVU game on at 12. I was sent up to Chad’s room where he gave me a note to pass to Megan and his wedding band (for me to hold on to all day until Dave said “we will now do the rings”). Seriously? You made me hold on to that thing for 6 hours? Jacob at least had the box thing to keep Megan’s in but I was terrified I was going to lose Chad’s wedding band! So I pretty much wore it all day. I’m really sorry if this means bad luck, but I figured it was better luck then losing it. I did take it off briefly to try and get it in as few pictures as possible – but quickly checked my pockets after the picture was taken. Then later Megan gave me a note to pass back to him so I ran upstairs yet again. All of us got our hair done beautifully and it was now time to go over to the Bohemian where the wedding was actually taking place.

I drove Megan over and the rest of the bridesmaids met us in her suite shortly. The honeymoon suite was basically on the other side of the wall for the reception – which was right next to the outside patio where the ceremony was. We all got our dresses on, did our make-up, took pictures, played with the kids, more getting beautiful and hanging out until it was time.

IT WAS FINALLY TIME! And I was still holding the ring! Perfect! We did our bridesmaid thing and walked down the aisle. All the little kids did an awesome job. Megan’s 4 sisters all walked down the aisle holding their flowers AND kids. It was impressive. Next was Megan’s turn. She was beautiful. Megan, really, you looked stunning. (and super skinny!) Our friend Dave did the ceremony. If you told me when we went to Pawley’s Island and I met Chad and Dave for the first time that I would be maid of honor at Megan’s wedding to Chad and Dave would be officiating, I would have called you delusional. I remember in weather analysis class fall of 2005. Chad and Jacob sat with the “cool kids” and would talk about weather like that’s all they cared about and made nerdy weather jokes. I would look at them thinking “You guys think you’re so cool like you run the ATMS department”. That was also the semester I met Megan just downstairs in the Java lab. Little did I know I would have a front row seat (stand?) to the wedding 6 years later.

Being maid of honor was fun. I gave my flowers to someone else and held Megan’s. Then I fluffed her dress when she turned. We were outside and the weather was BEAUTIFUL but there was a big gust at wind at one point which pushed her dress some. Of course I stressed for about 5 minutes whether or not I should fix it. I decided if there was another gust I’d fix it but leave it until then. This may be creepy, but I was watching Chad the whole time, since I couldn’t see Megan. I love seeing the faces on people when they get married. They are so happy and nervous at the same time. Chad’s facial expression was definitely that of “I can’t believe I’m so lucky to be marrying this wonderful woman standing next to me.”

I had to remind Megan to take her flowers once she walked back down the aisle. Then I got to walk with Rev. David Ramsaur. And that is how Megan and Chad got married. Now….let’s party!

Oops before we get to partying we need the speeches! I got a text from Megan a few weeks before the wedding saying “Jacob is giving a speech at the wedding. Will you give one for me?” My reply was, “Yes of course I’ve already been working on one.” I may sound less crazy if I said I started writing their speech when they got engaged, but that’d be a lie. The truth is I started thinking about a speech for these two long before they were engaged. Even with all that time, I was still extremely nervous. It was immediately after the ceremony – and I had to go before Jacob. My heart was pounding and it felt just like I was back in school about to give my map discussion or math senior seminar – especially since both those professors were in the audience. I absolutely hate public speaking. It’s terrifying. I’m pretty sure I was shaking but everyone said I looked completely fine and did a great job. It actually went well. I remembered to say everything I wanted to, and I didn’t rush through it. People laughed when I wanted them to, and I left moments to pause during sweet stories for reflection. To Megan and Chad: I truly and deeply meant every word I said.

Photo Credit: Joe Covert

Okay, now let’s party! The food was delicious – an open bar is always a plus too. I strangely hung out with Jacob a lot that night. Not that there is anything wrong with that – I guess since both our S.O.’s weren’t there and we were both 2nd in command to the bride and groom. If you’re reading this Jacob Carley – you are much cooler than I ever gave you credit for in college and maybe we will get to hang out again one day!

This blog is getting a little long, so I will try to cut it short. The rest was full of normal reception fun. Cutting of the cake, talking to Bahls and Dr. Miller. Is it weird that even after I graduated I feel the need to call him Dr. Miller instead of Doug? Dancing, bouquet and garter action, Megan breaking her toe during Miley Cyrus. She was a trooper about it thought. Megan: “Miley Cyrus Party in the U.S.A. came on and things got a little crazy. Someone jumped on my foot.”

 Bahls

 Dr. Miller with all the ATMS students

Oh wait! Also I got to sign the marriage license as a witness! So official. That was pretty exciting.

Photo Credit: Joe Covert

High: Watching my friend marry my best friend to another friend – all while standing inches away!

Low: I helped Megan put on her shoes – and I volunteered to do it. This is HUGE considering how much we all know I hate feet! That is how much I love you Megan Stone. I mean Hutchins.

On deck: Not much going on (or at least planned) until Kelly’s wedding in May at VA Beach. Geez – why so many weddings?? I must be getting old.

I leave you with some more photos:






Photo Credit: Joe Covert

Photo Credit: Joe Covert

2 comments:

  1. So I just get "Bahls"? :) It was a wonderful wedding...and I loved your toast; it was lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHH!! My blog was getting too long I was scared everyone would stop reading it! It was so awesome to see you though! My boyfriend weeks ago was even like, "Do I get to meet Bahls?" hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete