Friday, April 29, 2011

Dogs are not accessaries

Being a dog owner is a lot of work. My boss told me it’s harder than having kids. I don’t believe that, but yes, sometimes it’s exhausting. The hardest part about owning a dog is dealing with other people. Goomba is a good dog. Yes he likes to play a lot and other dogs may not be into that, but he doesn’t bit or attack. He just wants to have fun and is always wagging his butt. 

Many of you know what I work on a farm and bring Goomba to work with me every day. He gets to run around the fields and he loves it. Some days Gary brings his German Shepherd and the two of them play all day long. It’s great! Sometimes though Goomba gets a little too friendly and trusting of strangers that walk by. This is a private driveway (once we get up this far I think) but that doesn’t stop people and kids from riding their bikes or walking with their dogs up here. Goomba sees them and since he’s in love with people he will invite himself to join them on their walk. The problem is, he doesn’t know when to stop. He will continue to walk until I run out there to get him. 

Today he joined a woman with her two kids and small dog (a shih tsu maybe?). Once I saw them I was clearly speed walking and then started running towards them. Goomba was trying to play and the shih tsu didn’t want any part of that. There was no fighting or biting, Goomba was just trying to say hello. I could tell the woman was trying to pull her dog away but this was useless being as Goomba was not on a leash and could just follow. So trying to be considerate I started running to get him away faster. The two little girls would not stop SCREAMING. Goomba was not barking or biting or even paying any attention the girls, why the need to scream at the top of their lungs? That will only make their dog more scared and their mom more angry. As I was getting closer the mom said in an angry voice, “who’s dog is this???” Well lady I’m running towards you it’s obviously mine. If you’re so worried about your own precious dog then pick him up. He’s a shiatsu, he can’t weigh more than 10 pounds. Don’t get your panties in a bundle. 

I understand that Goomba can be too playful and jumpy, and being a boxer even though he’s not full size yet he’s still “big” and strong and maybe intimidating to those with small dogs. But come on, you can quickly tell he’s friendly so stop acting like your dog is the most precious thing on earth. Yes, I love my dog immensely and can understand telling the need to protect him, but they are dogs and need to be socialized with other  dogs. It’s not like Goomba is a wolf coming to eat your dog. Dogs are made to play rough and if yours can’t handle it just pick him up until I get there and stop giving me an attitude.  It’s Friday, and the weather is awesome, you have kids and a dog, and are able to walk a walk in the middle of the morning – be happy! Stop killing my Friday buzz!

Earlier this week a neighbor on the farm brought Goomba back here saying he was chasing her cats inside. At least she said “he’s a friendly dog….but he’s chasing my cats inside the house….” I could tell she was slightly annoyed but at least she was nice about it and it was actually something to be bothered by.

I sure do have my work cut out for me with this dog…..but he is mine. And I will love him and defend him no matter what he does. He just wants to make friends and play with them. Hopefully we will find some owners who want the same thing for their dogs and realize that they are animals not accessories to look pretty and not be touched.


No comments:

Post a Comment